Monday, May 19, 2008

Invaded by yankees?

Shibuya is one of the 23 wards of Tokyo and by far one of my favorite places in this country. It has a mixture of wealthy, poor, educated, serious, crazy and extreme individuals. It's a place where bad and good meet and mix. It is so popular that Gwen Stefani dedicated one of it's songs to the lifestyle girls have in Harajuku, Shibuya's (and perhaps one of the worlds) fashion center.

For me Shibuya went from my partying / walking around (hueveo) zone, to my track and field training ground. Having Yoyogi park and one of Tokyo's main public tracks, Oda field, it's by far one of the best places to run in.

Now in both of these (Yoyogi and Oda) you can see the clash between "getting down and dirty" and "getting down and dirty". In one hand you have the athletes running and working out and in the other young rebels, party boys, couples ... well getting down and dirty.
Until last week I thought it was cool and interesting how both coexisted in the same environment. However, last Saturday (and I wonder if it's every Saturday) a group crossed one of the invisible boundries.

I headed to Oda field on Saturday night to do a mini tempo 6km workout and to my surprise the track was packed ... but with who ...
A couple lying on the grass making out
At least 10 guys drinking beer and smoking on the tables outside the changing rooms.
Another group of 15 girls and guys coming in and out of the track shouting and acting crazy.

I didn't really mind them ... I mean who am I to judge them hmm ... but they definitely stayed after been told by the track staff to leave ... and I wonder what the situation would be like with a track filled with runners.
*In Japanese yankee is a word to describe a rebel, a bad person. If you are a yankee you are bad news.

No comments: