Thursday, May 22, 2008

Peru host for the summer olympics???

I'm at work now ... supposedly "working", but I think most have realized that I am surfing the net after I couldn't hold my laughter. What could I have ran into?
Well I was/am reading a news paper online. El Comercio, the oldest and most respectable news paper in Peru and one of the oldest new papers printed in Spanish. Of course everything written in it is 99% of the time true.
It says in big letters:
If Peru does not become host country for the 2016 summer olympics they will bid again for the 2020 summer olympics.
Did you just laugh? I mean someone must have hacked this article because it's ridiculous.
First of all can Lima (Peru's capital) still bid? I thought the applications were due September 2007. Second of all, why are they even applying!? And third, why will they apply to be host of the 2020 and 2024 olympics!?
Apparently the idea came from our very smart, trilingual president. A master of making beautiful speeches and having very bad ideas.
Bidding to be the olympic host is even worst than his famous electric train project.
If you ever visit Lima you will notice that there are bridge like constructions at random places. When I say random I mean random: as in blue sky and bam a bridge without a beginning or end ... aka with no connection to the ground or anything whatsoever. Just there a piece of street suspended by columns and 5 km after another and another and so on.
The usual tourist will probably think there is some kind of construction going on, but the truth is those bridge like constructions have been there for the past 20 or so years.
Why don't they knock them down? Because they are very well constructed and it would cost a lot of money to break them plus the money invested in making them will then become a waste (not that it's not already).
Yup, the president we have now was also elected years ago and he presented an electric train project. Let's make a train that will run throughout the entire city ... so they constructed about 30% of it, he then stole a lot of money and fled to Europe ... then came back and became president again ... and now he wants to be host for the olympics ... in a country that doesn't have a single Stadium.
I mean seriously Peru has no infrastructure. It has two good soccer stadiums. One that is very old and the other very unaccessible. It has one track and field "stadium" that is worst than a high school track in the United States. It has an olympic pool in an ugly area ...
I mean freaking crazy ... freaking Alaska has more chances than Lima.
Money wise: not only will you need investment to build things you would need investment to destroy old buildings, etc. The construction materials would probably be stolen before any stadium gets finished.
Don't get my wrong ... I love Peru and can't wait to get back. I now live in Japan, but I think I would feel so much happier in Peru, best country to live in seriously.
But if Peru becomes host for the summer olympics I will break 2.15 for the marathon and participate. I mean if Peru can host the olympic games I can break 2.15 with no problem.

No comments: