Monday, September 3, 2007

Bullied by High School kids: Race report

This race report begins with the jumbi (japanese for preparation) of the previous day.

Saturday/Sunday schedule:
10am - 5pm: Work
6pm - 7pm: Shopping
8:30pm - 10:30pm: Dinner/Flamenco show and of course drinks.
12:00 - 3:30am: Farewell party with lots of crazyness and of course drinks.
7am - 9am: Watch the Marathon on TV
12:45: The train I am on stops for 20 minutes due to an accident.
1:30pm: My race !!! (biggest hangover/body pain/nausea ever).

In search for a 1500 meter PB I signed up for a race in Kounosu City (Saitama). It was a local race in which most participants were high school / university club students.
I was placed in the first heat (usually 1st heat is the slowest but in this event they did it the other way around).

I got there with just enough time to jog 5 minutes, stretch and compete ... I had the biggest hangover ever.

The race was about to begin and we lined up waiting for the GO. Wierdly we had a false start ... high schooler's pfff.
The first 200 meters were terrible. I consider my start one of my strengths, but in this race it was so slow. I guess I was still sleeping as I found myself in the very back of the pack running at 5km pace. I tried to move forward after the curve but I kept been pushed around by the evil high schoolers.

I have never been touched so much during a race (yea that doesn't sound right). These kids would lock me up in a box, grab my waist from behind and kick the sole of my shoes.

At a certain point I managed to grab 2nd place but felt too tired from all the speed changes to take the lead.

Finally the last lap came ... looked at my stop watch and finally woke up.
I came in 4th in my heat, 6th out of the 5 heats.
No PB, but a good race considering the conditions I was in and my bad start.
I think that if I can add the start from my previous races and the end of this race I can manage to go under 4.10, which would make this a successful year ... next 1500 race scheduled for October ... gambarou.

Click here for a video of this race

3 comments:

GKK said...

Great video. Looked like a tough race. Did I spot girls in the race? Someone had long plaited hair.

Stephen Lacey said...

Yes, you finished strongly, but not as strong as the guy in the yellow shorts you were dicing with at about 200 m to go. He showed you a nice clean pair of heels ;-)

Omar Minami said...

No girls Gordon just two boys wearing pink singlets and bandanas.
And yes I was tired at the end ... but look at 850 meters to go you will see the guy pulling me and tickling me from behind...wierdos...