Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Shibuya Aquathlon: The end of the curse














On Saturday 22nd I took part in Shibuya Aquathlon. The third part of the Setagaya Aquathlon tournament.
This race took place in the 25 meter pool of the Shibuya sport center near Hatagaya Station. The distance: 300 meter swim + 1500 meter run.

This time I wouldn't let bad luck or bad performance defeat me. I woke up early and arrived 2 hours before my race, giving me enough time to warm up and stretch.
Little did I know that university triathlon teams were also present, spicing up the competition.

The swim part was about to begin. Me and 5 guys lined up in front ready to fight (literally) for the first position. I swam hard for the first 20 meters and when I looked up I realized that I had closed too much and was about to pass by the left side of the first pole (person) when rules say I must pass on the outside (it's a square and we must swim on its perimeter).
I did what I had to do and sumerged under one of the guys popped up headbutting him and with an arm covered another guy. This created a mess in the corner ... in a few seconds I had taken down 3 guys and had only a few bruises on me (man am I bad ... yea right)
Not on purpose of course ... just an accident :)
The first position was mine.
The swim continued and I was literally ranned over by those 3 guys plus 2 others ... the party was over. (not on video unfortunately).

Out of the pool it was time to play my game.
I went pass by 4 guys capturing the 2nd place and was then passed by a guy ending up third in my heat. I was pretty satisfied with the run. The course was 3 laps on a zig zag loop making it very difficult to reach good speed.
I guess the swim could have been better.
I ended up 5th in general.

The first two guys were very fast. Even with an impeccable performance I don't think I would have had a chance to beat them.
I guess there is no way I can win the tournament this year ... next time I guess.

Video links below:
Swim part 1
Swim part 2
Run part 1
Run part 2
(Thank you Shoji-san for the pictures and video and cheering)

In other news
I ended with an inury after I paced a friend for a fast 1000 meters the evening after my race. I don't know how I did it, but after the run my calf felt strange.
I took Sunday off, practiced on Monday and Tuesday and now my calf feels even worst.
Hopefully it feels good enough tomorrow to run the 5km time trial with the Atomi club.

1 comment:

Christian said...

congratulations, omar!
these aquathlons seem to be some kind of triathlon, too, in the sense that you have to do three kinds of sports: some combat, swimming, and running ;-)