Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Nihon Gakuen Aquathlon

Last summer, while looking for new races to participate in I discovered the sport Aquathlon. A triathlon without the cycling part. This got me very interested as runners usually do not swim and swimmers usually do not run (competitively that is), I however do (did) both.
I was only able to put in a few swim sessions in and 6 years of no swimming were really noticeable.
I got 2nd place in my first aquathlon (a really small race in Hachijoji) and 5th the second time (a bigger event in Komazawa).

This year I was not going to miss out on these fun events and signed up on the Setagaya Aquathlon championships: A tournament composed of 4 aquathlons. Nihon Gakuen, Meguro, Shibuya and Setagaya.
Top 10 of each event get points, the tournament winner is of course whoever gets the most points.

Race Report

Race Name: Nihon Gakuen Aquathlon
Location: A few minutes from Medaimae station on the Keio line (click for map)
Price: 1000 yen
Distance: 300 meter swim / 1500 meter run .... really short!!
Age groups: men under 39, men over, women and elementary kids.
Sponsor: Nike and artsports
Prize: For the first place a pair of running nike shoes of your choice (no flats it seems).

As this was my first aquathlon I wasn't really looking for much other than warm-up, place high and have fun .... LIE ... I went there to win it (I did not know what the prize was).
In the amateur aquathlon scene of Japan it is very hard to find someone who is fast in the water and on the ground. The best you can get are triathletes who are usually great on the swim but not as great on a short runs.

This race had a 1500 meter run AKA my favorite and for the time been, best event. The swim part was not crazy long and I was sure I could fight my way through.
10 minutes before the start all participants in my age group gathered around the pool to prepare their shoes, etc for the transition. The guy next to me asked me if I was a track athlete, to which I replied, "Yes, in fact my favorite race is the 1500, I can run it in about 4.10" (a little white lie right there). He said, "oh really? I run too, I run 1500 in about 4.09, but I cannot swim at all."

If there was a guy to beat it was him ...

We all got in the pool and the race began ... man was it a tough swim. Punches, kicks, grabbing, pulling. Some 20 guys in a 25 meter pool trying to get the first position, this was the obvious result. After the first 30 meters I was in the front pack with 5 swimmers and could focus more on my stroke ... peace did not last long. Three swimmers infront began to slow down after the first 75 meters and at the same time we were catching up to the slow people. Once again I was trapped between punches, kicks, etc.

Why would you swim breast stroke during a swim meet??? In a lane with 15 guys all around you ... breast stroke kicks can be a dangerous weapon.

By 200 meters I was not sure which position I was anymore, I was not even sure how many laps were left.
300 meters were done and I left the pool 2nd and in one piece ... the 1st place, a triathlete, with a 10 second lead(I had a super slow transition after).


The swim was actually about 350 meters as we had to swim the perimeter of the pool.

The 1500 (actually 1600) run began: 2 small loops around the school ground and one big lap covering all of the school ground.
Within the first minute I quickly catched and passed the first place. By 500 meters I had a huge lead with nobody to be seen behind me.

Now ... I began slow ... after a 300 meters swim I needed a few seconds to catch my breathe. Why oh why didn't I bring up the pace to 1500 meter speed?? Why didn't I take it up to at least 3000 meter racing pace? I tured around and there was nobody, but does that mean I can just jog and wave to the crowd taking for granted my victory? I have never seen the leading man raise his arms during a full marathon race at the 25 km mark.
I am no olympic runner ... these races are my own personal olympics and I should try 100% in all of them (unless there is some tactical / experimental plan going on). What was I thinking ... or to better state that ... why wasn't I thinking!

Back to the race.
400 to go I turn around and I see the track runner a few meters behind me coming at full speed. By the time I was running at 1500 race pace he was next to me. 100 meter to go he was infront of me. 50 meter to go I took the lead ... 10 meters to go he catched up, and well he is a faster runner and of course won by a few centimers.
I had a huge lead on this guy ... like having a 10 km lead during a marathon ...

5 days after and this race is still in my head. How did I finish second place?

I will have another chance. He will race meguro on September 9th. Once again I will have a 40 second lead (maybe more as the swim will be in a 50 meter pool). The run will be 4 km so he will have a better advantage in the run.

I guess I should try to concentrate on getting the points more than taking it personal ... And to remember to focus on my stroke rather than moving my arms quickly.

For amateur athletes these small races are their own personal big events and should be treated as such ... A cocky attitude like the one on Sunday will only give me disappoinments.
Click here for the swim part of the race

Anyways ... I really recommend this race. The distance is short enough for beginners and there is not much competition. Also the place is easy to get to. Most importantly the first place gets a pair of nike running shoes of their choice.

Results:
Men 40 up (1st - 3rd)= 12:23 / 13:00 / 13:41
Women= 13:06 / 13:24 / 14:58
Mine: 11:54

No comments: