Saturday, December 22, 2007

I think God wants me to quit running

I have spent the entire summer and fall running hard waiting for the winter races and for what?
I get a 3 week injury while shopping! Losing chances of running Ageo Half ...
But that's okay, I mean, I needed some time off anyways ... plus I still had a 10km left in December to end the year with a good personal best. However ... I get sick for about a week just when I had began running again.
But that's okay too, I mean, there is always next year ... plus I got back on my feet a week before the 17th leaving me with just enough time (actually less) to prepare for my first marathon in February.
But a few days ago I was diagnosed influenza type A.

A step back: Takako actually warned me about it, urging me to get a vaccine quick and to take the appropiate precautions. Instead I decided to leave that for when the holidays came. What are the chances of catching it? And how bad can it be? (No influenza in Lima as far as I know due to the all year round warm weather).
Now that I have it ... man does it suck.

So I went to work with high fever and was sent back home. From home I was sent to the doctor and the doctor stuck a long cable up my nostrils (now that was an awful feeling). The result: Influenza type A.
I left the hospital with 5 different pills, some garggle thing and some liquid medicine. And with a letter saying I was not allowed to work or have contact with others as I was too contagious ... for 10 days. TEN DAYS ! That means not even Santa Claus will approach me this Christmas.
10 days locked up in my room wearing a mask and receiving my food through a small opening on my door. 10 more days with no running ... with that said ... bye bye good first marathon debut.

Well at least I am not starting the year bad ... this should end December 29th ... I hope.

No comments: