Monday, June 2, 2008

Two other runs in May

Running alone
Last Thursday I head out to Oda field to take part in the monthly Atomi 5km time trial. It was a rainy, but the weather was too good (really cool) to skip this monthly event. To my surprise though, when I got there the track was pretty much empty. And by that I mean 4 guys doing 50 meter sprints occupying nothing of the field.
"To run or not to run" That is the question.
I am terrible at pacing myself when doing race pace time trials on anything longer than 800 meters and running a bad 5000 would be a waste of energy.
"What to do"
An interval session of 1000 reps at 3.10 pace seemed like a wise choice.
Went out at a perfect pace passing each 200 in 38 seconds. It felt so easy compared to my recent speed workouts where I have to pass each 200 in 32/33 seconds. With 100 meters to go before the first 1000 I decided to change the repetition to 2000 meters.
The pace stayed even and the light rain was pretty refreshing. "Man, should I do a 5000? I'd be disrespecting this cool weather if I don't"
After the first 2000, the interval session had become a 5000 time trial, and what a good decision that was.
Splits were: 3.10.21 - 3.10.69 - 3.12.88 - 3.14.34 - 3.10.84
Time: 15.58.96
The time was good, but better than that was the fact that I cruised all the way. I had no pressure from the competition or spectators. I could have stopped at any time and nobody would have ever known about it. This run was all about keeping the pace and my running form.
Yes, I slowed down at km 3 and and 4. For km 3 I have the excuse the after 2000 meters I was about to stop but then picked it up to change my interval session to a time trial. Still, I was running alone. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come in the fall.

5 days before that
On May 25th I ran my last 1500 of the Spring.
I always have this "problem" called a hangover when I run 1500's. Every time I run a 1500 race I drink the day before. I rarely drink nowadays, but for some strange reason, every time there is a 1500 race I drink on the Saturday before. This time wasn't any different in that sense.
I did though however get a good 9 hours of sleep and due to time confusion arrived 2 hours before the race start.
Had an excellent warm up. Was today a pb day?
The start was messed up ... instead of the usual gun they used this baby gun toy thingy attached to a megaphone so the gun would go and 0.03 seconds later the sound would come out of the megaphone. I started out so low waiting for the sound to reach my ears and ended up going through the first 200 in 34 seconds compared to my usual 32. I was able to gain some places though and bring the pace up passing the 400 mark in 1.05 / 06.
With 1,100 to go I was in a solid 2nd place.
The pace was great, perfect (the split seconds are made up)
1.05.8 - 2.11.9 - 3.19
When I looked at that 3.19 I thought "Oh man I am going to run a 4.06 today, keep it cool, keep it cool" ... but my legs just didn't it that afternoon. I finished with a 4.10.31. A good time, but with a 3.19 at the 1200 mark I should have been a lot faster.

No comments: