Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Soccer - Football - Futbol !!!

On June 14th and 15th I took part in the ALL ALT JAPAN SOCCER TOURNAMENT. Although its name, this tournament is not only for ALTs. Many Japanese and local teams registered in the Metropolis and other local leagues take part in it as well.
About 18 teams took part in the male tournament (female tourney available too). Probably some 10 competitive teams, 4 okay teams and 4 "not so okay" teams.
First day teams were divided in groups of 4 and 5 and played a league style competition. Everyone against everyone. The following day the winning teams went to a competitive tournament of lose and done and the losing teams to a less competitive tournament of same style.
It was great fun to get in the field after years of not playing the beautiful game. And even though we lost every single game and ended with a goal difference average of -4 goals I enjoyed the weekend all in all. Yes, there is no excuse for such a shameful result. The truth though is we were honestly playing for the fun of playing.
Well the scores might make one think this tournament is hardcore, but it really isn't. We were just kinda bad. I'd say the best 3 teams were as good as an average university team and the remaining 7 good teams as good as a highschool team. The rest as good as you and your buddies playing football. For sure not semi-pro although there were some really good players here and there.
But like I said, fun! fun! fun! A great escape from all my running training and went through the weekend with just a minor hip injury which is gone now.
Will I participate again next year?
Well most of my team mates are leaving Japan, but some 6 players will be staying and I guess we could recruit a couple of more. So yea, I might go for some more punishment next summer.
Till then I'll just keep running ...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Suerte en tus metas atleticas.

un abrazo de un compatriota que vive en Canada.