Thursday, January 22, 2009

Shibuya Ekiden Champions

Shibuya Ekiden is one of those small, yet popular ekidens (road relays) that take place during the cold winter season. About 100 teams consisting of 4 members each come together in Shibuya's Yoyogi Park to take part in it. The event usually takes place on the 3rd Sunday of January, right in the middle of winter and for many, like me, marks their first race of the new year.
The ekiden consists of 4 stages, each going over the same course of 2.9km. For the winners a flag which they will have the honor to keep for a year, awaits. The flag has on it all the names of it's previous holders printed.
Perhaps because of it's easy access, short course and good organization it has become a yearly tradition for me to run this race. This was my 3rd time participating (every year with a different team name), and my second time winning it.
I was a bit concerned about how my stage would go as I am not in good shape, however I managed to run the curvy course in 9.08. Pretty fast considering my training - and I believe this is my personal record on the course.
My team was also able to establish a course record (this is a new course - changed 3 years ago) running under 36 minutes with a 35.59 result finishing seconds behind a University Team which runs just as training.
One race ran, one golden medal won. So far 2009 looks good.

No comments: