Monday, August 20, 2007

A cold date during the hot summer

Yesterday Takako prepared a date for us. She took me to watch Friends on ice at the Yokohama skate center. I had no idea if it was going to be an exhibition, competition, free skate or ice show, but was really excited as I rarely get to go to a rink.

Friends on ice is an annual event in where former olympic, world and national ice skate champions show their routines as well as some new choreographies.

This year among the participants were:

1. Shizuka Arakawa
2006 Torino winter olympic gold medalist and 2004 world champion

2. Yuka Sato
World champion and 2 time Japanese national champion

3. Yukari Nakano
2007 Asian champion and GP final bronze medalist

4. Takeshi Honda
6 time Japanese national champion and 2 time world bronze medalist

5. Evan Lysacek
US national champion and 2 time world bronze medalist

6. John Baldwin and Rena Inoue
2 time US national champions

(by clicking on their name you can see a performance video of them)

There were about 10 other participants all of elite level. You can see more information about them by clicking on the friends on ice link at the beginning of the post.

It was really amazing for me to be so close to world level athletes (although in the winter I helped a marathon super star get back to his hotel in Tokyo lol) and watch them perform.

I probably spend an average of 90 minutes a day in sports, now in the summer vacation maybe about 3 hours. These guys probably put 6+ hours a day of training, gym, lectures, etc.
90 minutes require great sacrifice. Not only physically do you challenge yourself, but socially you have to restrain yourself from going go unforgettable parties, memorable events, important family gatherings, etc. 6+ hours a day is something to respect ... well of course sometimes you get money and fame ... but still, 4 times the sacrifice I put now ... I don't think I'd be able to do it. No tendria los huevos ... like they say in Spanish.

Anyways, the show was first class as well as the performers. I definitely recommend it.

We were not allowed to take pictures or record during the exhibition, however I was able to take a short clip of Shizuka Arakawa at the end of the evening (I almost slip at the end).
Click me

No comments: