Thursday, July 24, 2008

It's so HOT I am literally burning myself out

Summer is here and with it a disgusting humid environment and temperatures reaching over 35 degrees celcius on very hot days. Running in the summer is asking for it, funny though, many runners (me included) use these hot months as build up period, meaning hard long runs and lots of sweat.
In the last 5 weeks somehow I have managed to loose 4 kilos. I weight myself the other week while trying to figure out my wetsuit size and to my surprise I was at 54.5 kg. SHOCKING!
I am very picky about my weight as I know I have to be light to run, but at the same time want to stay near 60 kg so I try to eat a lot whenever I can. Yesterday after a swim I weight myself again to see if there was any improvement ... !!!! 53.8 kg. I am disappearing.
Hopefully it's just summer thing ...
One good thing is ... the hotter it gets the less clothing athletes wear ;-)


On another note ...
I finally applied and paid for my triathlon. It's such an expensive sport. To give you an idea here is what prices normally are for gear:
Bike: USD 700 - 7000
Wetsuit: USD 200 - 800
Tri-suit: USD 100 - 300
Bike gear: USD 200 - 500 (shoes, helmet, etc)
And of course you need your running wear, gels, drinks etc.
As for me, for now I will borrow a bike, perhaps when I take this sport seriously I will buy my own. Wetsuit I am buying online. A De Soto Wetsuit. Apparently on the high end of competitiveness. Bike gear I will not wear. I trust my running and swim so I will just struggle and survive on the bike leg.
Oh man can't wait! Can't wait for the punishment and pain! 1500 meter swim - 40 km bike - 10 km run. I know it will hurt as I just began preparing 6 weeks before rather than 6 months before ... but I know ... I think ... I will do a good job.
...hopefully my application wasn't rejected....

No comments: