Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Aquathlon series: 2008 Champion

The Aquathlon series is a yearly event organized by Art Sports (a chain store) that consists of 4 aquathlon races that take place mostly in the Setagaya-ward in Tokyo. The four events are: Nihon Gakuen Aquathlon, Meguro Aquathlon, Shibuya Aquathlon and Setagaya Aquathlon.
Participants of each event get points in the following way (from first to tenth):
12 - 11 - 10 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1
This year, although I only took part in 3 of the events I was able to come out victorious.

Nihon Gakuen

Race Name: Nihon Gakuen Aquathlon
Distance: 300 meter swim - 1500 meter run
Course: In a 25 meter pool and inside a school (3 laps)
Price: 1000 yen
Prize this year (by place): Nike shoes / nike bag / nike towel
Nearest station: Meidaimae on the Keio line
Categories: Kids, general, masters

Last year I took part in this event and came in 2nd and got an XL nike shirt (still have it if anyone wants it). This year I wasn't going to let first place slip out of my hands.
The swim was divided into 4 waves starting from the youngest - usually whoever wins the first wave wins it.
So it began ... at the start I spotted a guy wearing a long speedo swim suit. I thought about to things: Will he run with that? and he will win the swim because no young boy buys a $150 dollar suit to just keep in shape. Indeed he won the swim ... but in what a way. A real swimmer ... Asia university freestyler memeber of the Japanese Junior Olympic team for several years. I had 50 meters to go (2nd) and he was out which is amazingly fast considering it's only a 300 meter swim. Like lapping someone in the 1500 run.
Fortunately his run was quite slow. I managed to catch him and pass him with 100 meters to go ... winning a new pair of Nike Free shoes and 12 points in the tournament.
But it all wasn't happy news ... I don't know what's up with my balance but for the 2nd time this month I fell and bled all over the place. Really nasty fall while trying to catch the 1st place. At least now I have a nice balance in my scars ... one on the left arm from cycling and now this one on the right leg from running in the mud.

Meguro

Race Name: Meguro (Komazawa) Aquathlon
Distance: 300 meter swim - 4200 meter run
Course: The swim in the 50 meter pool / the run at the park running course.
Price: 500 yen
Prize this year: Trophy, towel, 2000 yen and 5 litters of an energy drink.
Nearest station: Komazawa Daigaku Station
Categories: Kids, general, masters

Last year I had taken part in this event as an unregistered runner due to my late arrival. I won the event with an unofficial 20.29. So this year I was the unofficial defending champion (of course only I knew that).
Anyways I expected to win, and that, I did. I finished with a surprising time of 19.57 beating last years official winning time by 2 minutes. 2nd finished in an also surprising time of 20.54 beating last years time by a whole minute. Places 2-7 were actually really close together.
Pretty happy to have won this event as it was a lot bigger and more competitive than last year. Got my plastic trophy (that looks more like a toy), some gift certificates, a towel (with the price tag still on) and some energy drink box thing.
2 more events left and in the lead with 24 points. 2nd place has 15 points and 3rd 13 points. Unfortunately due to work I will have to skip one of the events, but hoping the guy now in 2nd doesn't win it.

Setagaya

Race Name: Setagaya Aquathlon
Distance: 200 meter swim - 3100 meter run
Course: The swim in the 50 meter pool / the run at the park running course and track
Price: 300 yen
Prize this year: Diploma, 2000 yen and a medal.
Nearest station: No stations near. It's at the park near the intersection of Setagaya dori with Kampachi dori.
Categories: Kids, general, masters

I got really sick/injured during the week and was unable to put in any sort of training. With 24 point already I thought racing this would not be necessary but took a look at the point ranking last night and discovered I was 2nd place. I woke up feeling okay and decided to cycle to the park (an 8 km ride), if that felt fine then I would race.
I raced Setagaya 2 years ago and came in 5th. For some reason university tri-athletes join this event making it very competitive.
Anyways, to the race. My swim was decent. Got out of the pool 4th and began the run 6th. After 1km I was already 3rd and exactly 100 meters from the 2nd and 1st place. I felt a bit uneasy during the run. Not sure if it was because of the week off from sports I took or beacuse of my illness/injury (not sure what it is). Finally managed to catch 2nd with 200 meters to go but never really saw the first place.
I have to admit I felt bad, even ashamed of not winning as many competitors asked if I had won again, but after meeting the winner I felt better. Who knows, maybe I could have won with a healthier body although a 31 second difference is pretty big for such a short race.
(The winner was a Keio University tri-athlete with a personal best of 2.01 in the Olympic distance triathlon - pretty damn fast).

With a win - win - 2nd I was able to become the champion of this small event. Thinking about making it a yearly thing.

No comments: